What are the differences between the Standalone DCS World and the Steam version?
- Auto-Update without launching the game (as long as steam is open)
- Faster Download/Update Speed
- Steam In-Game Overlay
- Steam Friend List Notifications
- Quick Repair
- DLCs not present on Steam are unsupported
Standalone DCS World:
- Get all the modules as soon as they are released
- Does not require any extra program to be launched
- Has every single modules available
If you are fine with waiting for most product to be available on Steam and like most of the Steam feature, the Steam version might be for you.
If you own unsupported products such as Upgrades / FC3 or do not care about the Steam functionalities, Standalone DCS World might be for you.
Сan I activate my DCS World Module purchased on Steam on DCS World Standalone(Non-Steam) releases on Steam before 12th May 2017?
Yes, DCS (Star-Force) keys for modules releases on Steam before 12th May 2017 can be used on DCS standalone.
1. You need to retrieve your serial number (CD key):
it can be found within your Steam Library and right-clicking on DCS World -> "View CD Key". Where to get Steam CD key?
Another way to view your cd-key is by simply clicking the "CD-Key" link on the right side menu displayed after clicking DCS World within your library.
2. If you received a serial number for the module you have to bind it to account here: License serial number check and after that you will be able to install your product via in-game Module Manager.
...if you found that the licensing page is not working for some reason
3. If you unable to use License serial number check page, you need to activate your module in any DCS World version (Steam or from our DCS site) and then Log on under your account to DCS game and all the Star-Force keys from the registry will be automatically bound to account.
If you need to install the module in order to activate it, please use this FAQ https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/400/#1685183
How to activate Star-Force modules described here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/564/#1525264
so, the main steps: 1. Install DCS, 2. Install the module, 3. activate the module, 4. log on to DCS game, 5. check the keys in Module Manager on the product page in E-shop
How to transfer keyless DCS modules purchased on STEAM?
Please note, all future DCS World DLC released on Steam from 12th May 2017 on will now use Steam Keys instead of Star-Force keys.
Here are some modules released on Steam after 12-May-2017:
DCS: M-2000C; DCS: Nevada map; DCS: Spitfire; DCS: AJS-37; DCS: Normandy map; DCS: WW2 Assets pack; DCS: Su-33; DCS: AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL; DCS: F/A-18C; DCS: Persian Gulf map
as well as many new campaigns starting from the Museum Relic campaign.
You always can find the date in the Steam store
- Sort by Release date
These modules can be bound and activated on the DCS World e-shop version from the site.
To do this, on the DCS website, on the profile page, find a special Steam account block
please use the link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/profile/
1) You need to link the Steam account to your DCS account.
After clicking on the "BIND" button, you will be redirected to the Steam website, where you must log in and agree to share publicly available information from your profile with us.
2) After logging in to the Steam site, you return to our site and, if successful, the "GET LICENSES" button will be available.
Click the "Get licenses" button.
3) As a result, you can obtain a list of the products whose licenses that:
1. Already have a DCS account (Steam or not Steam)
2. Can be transferred to your account from Steam
3. Can not be transferred because they are in different types of protection
4) Click the "Transfer licenses" button.
As a result, the licenses available for transfer will be bound to the DCS account.
5) When you re-enter this page, the Steam license list will be displayed.
6) You can request licenses again to replenish them if you purchased new DCS products on Steam. New licenses also can be bound, as in the previous paragraph.
7) When you click the "Unbind" button, all your Steam transferred licenses will be revoked and the binding removed.
* Display name in Steam: "your name" - is not a login but rather information permitted by the Steam user to display on a public profile.
Please note that the transferred products will now be available in your Standalone install and also remain available in your Steam Version.
You may also only transfer from Steam to Standalone, Standalone to Steam transfer is not available.
How do I add command line arguments to a Steam shortcut?
- Right click on DCS World within your Steam Library
- Select Properties
- Click on "Set Launch Options"
- Type your command line options.
Every time the game is launched, the arguments will be executed.
Can I change the catalog where user settings are held (tracks, missions, screenshots, joystick profiles, graphics, game settings)?
Yes, you can. Write -w key in the command-line tag and after this indicate folder name. This folder still will be in a Saved Games folder. This Saved Games folder you can transfer with the help of standard means of your OS.
My Steam installation crash / does not work properly anymore, is there any way to fix it?
You repair your installation by going in the properties of DCS World which can be done by right clicking on DCS World within your library and selecting Properties. Then selecting the Local Files tab, which allow you to repair (Verify integrity of game cache) or uninstall the software.
How to switch to openbeta version?
Going in the properties of DCS World which can be done by right clicking on DCS World within your library and selecting Properties. Then selecting the BETAS tab, which allow you to select the version you would like
After that the Steam should download full content for choosen DCS version.
It's impossible to have several DCS versions on Steam platform simultaneously.
If you want to have several DCS versions at the same time, you need to install DCS from our site
Download and installation FAQ
Are patches/updates for the Steam version of DCS released at the same time as the standalone? Is this a source of potential issues if both are installed and used between updates?
DCS World Updates are pushed through ED servers for the standalone and Steam Servers for the Steam platform thus resulting in a delay when using Steam (since Steam has to first receive and handle the new update). The good news is that the updates will be much quicker to download from your Steam platform. The negative side is that you might have to wait before being able to play with your friends using the standalone version on the latest revision.
Can I have both the standalone and Steam versions of DCS installed? Do they share settings? Are there any negative side-effects?
You can have both installations on your PC at the same time. There won't be any negative effects due to both installations keeping all their updates / configurations within their own folders.
My Steam DCS World does not show any key!
It can sometimes happen that the steam store run out of keys for the games sold on their platforms. Wait until the developers give them a fresh batch of keys and you will be able to get your key afterwards.
Please note from 12th May 2017 DCS: M-2000C and all future DCS World DLC releases on Steam, will now use Steam Keys instead of Starforce keys, therefore they not shown in Steam Library
Where to get Steam CD key?
I already purchased a module through Steam, but now it’s available for sale. What can I do?
The timing of your purchase is not within our control. Nevertheless you can try contacting Steam and find out if they can do something for you (perhaps in cases where you may have made your purchase within just minutes of a sale opening).