Unlike most units that were granted to the States from the Osean Air Defense Force’s existing squadrons, the 170th Air Refueling Squadron was instead granted to Kenton in 1972 from a fellow States Air National Guard component. Stood up in 1956 for the Nassau Air National Guard, the Gargoyles started life flying the KC-97, before transitioning to the KC-135 in 1962. With the Nassau Air Guard wanting to focus on becoming a fighter force to support the Oured Air Guard, the OADF was at an impasse still wanting to keep a localized tanker force available. Kenton Air Guard, looking to expand its own wing, petitioned the OADF to move north to the heartland.
Now assigned to the 122nd Wing in Shiloh, the Gargoyles would act as a critical support element to fighter training from nearby bases. In 1995, the Gargoyles would be one of the many squadrons deployed to Osea’s Eastern border to support the ongoing war effort, and would fly multiple sorties over Ustio during the conflict.