Spitfire LFMk.IXc, MH712, flown by W/O Henryk Dygala,
No. 302 Squadron, Summer / Autumn, 1944
Polish No. 302 Squadron was one of the units that participated in the invasion
of Normandy in June, 1944, as can be deduced from the D-Day stripes
painted on the lower sides of fuselage and wings. This aircraft was equipped
with wing racks for 250lb bombs. The pointed rudder was freshly painted
andso accordingly, the colours appeared darker than the rest of the aircraft.
Nose art was not particularly common within the RAF, so the girl sitting on
the bombis a nice exception.