V1.0 (2019-06-23) - Printable and accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre - GeoTIFF format.
Webmap available at : http://dcsmaps.com/caucasus/openlayers
This is not a real-life Caucasus map. This is a printable and accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre. It only shows what exists in the game, be it roads, railroads, rivers, lakes, coastline, urban areas, forests, bridges...
I dedicate this map to the mission creators out there. May it serve them well.
HOW TO USE IT:
This map is brought to you as a very large GeoTIFF image. You can:
* Open it with any powerful image editor (The GIMP, Photoshop...).
* Open it with any powerful GIS editor (Quantum GIS, ArcGIS...) as a raster.
It is also available in a lower quality on the CombatFlite app by Viper39.
HOW IT WAS DONE:
* Urban, vegetation and water areas were extracted from a HUGE image composed of screenshots of the DCS mission editor.
* Rivers were all drawn by hand, one by one. Yes.
* Roads and railroads were drawn by AI Humvees, thanks to a MOOSE script by Hardcard.
* Relief shadows are from the ASTER GDEM.
* Town labels and beacons are from ingame LUA files.
* Airbases were drawn by hand.
* Bridges were generated through SQL scripting.
* Tunnels were drawn by hand.
HOW CAN I HELP?
If you see any error or missing part, or even if you wish to see some information added, please PM me on the ED forum (user "Flappie").
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
BaD_CrC, who's been supporting me from the beginning of the project
All the others who kept encouraging me on the forums : davidp57, BlacleyCole, FoxDelta, M1Combat, rajdary, deep...
Hardcard for his "Google car" scripting wisdom and the MOOSE community in general
Viper39 for his incredible CombatFlite app
Last but not least, Eagle Dynamics for their wonderful simulator. I was hooked since 2003 and I don't plan to leave. ;)