SAM valley V1.1
A single player mission for the AV-8B including AAR, low level, high speed flying though the valley's of Ingury and Baksan river and bombing a highly defended enemy command bunker.
Difficulty is intermediate/moderate
Some basic evasive flying skills might be required
Duration is about 1 hour (so ideal for people with not too much spare time)
No mods required
Loadout and fuel qty can be changed at will to avoid having to do AAR (though keep in mind you will need to destroy a bunker)
For some extra difficulty you could edit the mission to nighttime
Feel free to share, alter, redistribute etc.
3 days ago Russian forces crossed the Georgian border near Sochi. While few Georgian forces are still defending Gudauta and Sukhumi-Babushara, these airfields should be considered as lost. US ground forces fr om 1st division have settled in Zugdidi city, in an attempt to defend it fr om Russian troops, but they are far outnumbered. We are still waiting for coalition reinforcements to arrive. We do however have support from 121sqn (F/A-18's from Spain), but we are still limited in capabilities.
We have reason to believe that most of the Russian attacks are lead from a command bunker in Bylym (in the shadow of Mount Elbrus). While 2 AV-8B's from VMA231 (FORD1) will act as a diversion, providing CAS to our ground units at Zugdidi, you (COLT3) are tasked to take out the enemy command center in Bylym. You will need to fly in low and fast and use the mountains for cover. The airspace over and around Mount Elbrus is heavily defended by mobile SAM sites and the Russians have Su-27's standby at Sochi-Adler and MiG-29's at Nalchik, ready to intercept you.
- Make sure to memorize the info from the intel photo's, as you won't have much time to check your MFD's once entering the valley
- You'll start on the Tarawa deck fully running and aligned
- After take off, start a lazy RH turn at +10 degrees. Once you finished an approximate 360 turn, you will find yourself lining up with TEXACO and FORD. Join them towards Zugdidi
- Once over Zugdidi, enter the valley low and fast at Engury Dam and follow the landmarks as shown by our intel towards your target
- After you bombing run, quickly get the hell outta there the same way you came
Heavy air defenses (both SAM and AAA) surrounding the mission target. So keep your head on a swivel and have your Sidearm missiles ready until your target is in sight.
US special forces headed towards Bylym to provide the intel. They provided us with some intel pictures for a suggested flight path towards the target. Eventually they got stranded near El'Brus village (just inside Russian territory) as enemy presence from there was too dense.
Keep your Sidearm missiles ready, but use them wisely. Some targets will need to be taken out, while others may form less of a thread
E-3A AWACS OVERLOARD 131.000MHz
KC-130 TANKER TEXACO_2 251.000MHz (TCN CHANNEL 12X)
AV-8B FORD_1 CAS
F/A-18C DODGE_2 ACTIVE CAP
F/A-18C DODGE_5 STBY CAP FLIGHT FROM KOBULETI
AV-8B COLT_3 STRIKE (PLAYER)
SPRINGFIELD (AH-1W) AND PONTIAC (CH-47D) WILL PROVIDE CLOSE AIR SUPPORT ONCE THE COMMAND CENTER IS DESTOYED)
LHA-1 TARAWA 127.500MHz (TCN CHANNEL 21X)
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY DIVERT TO SENAKI-KOLKHI AB
SENAKI-KOLKHI 132.000MHz (TCN CHANNEL 31X)
Some tips (possible spoilers):
- Set up your weapon systems before entering the valley, as you won't have much time doing so while flying low
- Advise to set bomb release quantity to 2, as you don't want to find yourself needing to do a second run
- Keep your Sidearms active, especially after entering Baksan river valley
- Advise to set RWR on your right MFD
- There might be some manpads near Tyrnyauz village (close to target area)
- Don't fly over the mountains (except for the part wh ere you go from Engury valley to Baksan valley)
v1.1 - added a check for the mission failure message to only show, when target isn't damaged enough. Aside from that, the player should not exceed a certain time lim it (just don't do any excessive scenic sight seeing and you'll manage in time)