UPDATED February 22, 2020 - Updated to work in Open Beta 2.5.6
*** DOWNLOAD MISSION BRIEFING DOCUMENTS HERE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvexkgv4l3scku0/RED%20FLAG%20BRIEFING%20DEC25%202018.pdf?dl=0
Welcome to Red Flag Mission 1! My goal in creating this mission is to simulate a realistic air to ground Red Flag mission for the new DCS F/A-18 Hornet. In order to fly this mission successfully, you’ll need to execute critical tasks, from hitting your timing points to low level flying to possible air to air combat.
Make sure to read and familiarize yourself with the mission briefing and what’s expected of you before you enter the mission. Things can happen fast in the air, so better to prepare on the ground!
This mission features a ton of voice overs, challenging situations and extreme realism! Have fun!
Last week, Red Army forces began to move combat units close to the Blue border, in clear violation of the UN Security Council resolution 354. This, along with frequent Red Air Force violations into the DMZ area, have led Blue leadership to realize that a Red attack is imminent.
Today, Blue forces will preemptively strike the Red Forces staging near the DMZ. The attack will consist of several AV-8B and F/A-18 strikes upon Red Command and Control facilities adjacent to the border, plus SEAD strikes against SAM, AAA and EWR sites. Aiding this effort will be several flight of F-15 and F/A-18 fighters to take care of any hostile airborne responses.
Blue forces will have AWACS, tanker and jamming support on this mission, which will be orbiting to the East.
Red Army and Air forces are on a high state of alert.
• SA-10, SA-8, SA-3 AND SA-6 radar guided SAMs are all located adjacent to the DMZ.
• MANPADS and AAA threats exist throughout the AO.
• Hostile MiG activity has been heavy consisting of MiG-29, SU-27s (simulated by F-15 and F-16s of the 65th Aggressors and the 6513th TEF)
Dodge 1 Flight will be targeting a Red Command and Control Bunker located at NB 67587 40715 in Range 74B, utilizing a low level, high speed run into a pop up, MK-83 bombing attack. You will only be making one pass, then egressing northeast at high speed and low altitude.
DODGE 1 CF-18 STRIKE SOUTH CCC
DODGE 2 F/A-18C STRIKE NORTH CCC
FORD 1 F-15C SOUTH FIGHTER SWEEP
FORD 2 F-15C NORTH FIGHTER SWEEP
FORD 5 F-15C EGRESS FIGHTER SWEEP
PONTIAC 1 F/A-18C SOUTH SEAD
PONTIAC 2 F/A-18C NORTH SEAD
ARCO 11 KC-130 MARINE/NAVY REFUEL
DARKSTAR E-3C AWACS
VACCUUM EC-130 COMM/JAMM
SHOWTIME RED FLAG AIRBOSS
ALLEYCAT RED FLAG RANGE CONTROL
WAYPOINT NAME/ACTION NOTES
1 DEPARTURE FLEX DEPARTURE RWY 03R
2 FLEX NOT ABOVE 4000 MSL
3 SALLY CORDR ENTRY
4 REFUEL TRACK REFUEL W/ARCO 11 295.4
6 PUSH POINT PUSH TIME 16:45
7 NAV POINT BEGIN LOW LEVEL, 440 KIAS
8 TURN POINT LOW LEVEL 480 KTS
9 NAV POINT LOW LEVEL 480 KTS
10 INITIAL POINT POP UP ATTACK
11 TARGET (IR THREAT, USE FLARES)
12 EGRESS LOW LEVEL 480 KTS
13 NAV POINT LOW LEVEL 480 KTS
14 NAV POINT EXIT COMBAT BEGIN CLIMB TO CRUISE
15 APEX CONTACT TOWER
16 NELLIS AFB LAND (OVERHEAD BREAK 21L)
EXTRA BUTTER – SEAD PUSH TIME (16:43)
EXTRA LEGROOM – FIGHTER PUSH TIME (16:44)
EXTRA ADVENTURE – STRIKER PUSH TIME (16:45)
FIESTA COORS – MISSION COMPLETE RTB
NOTES ABOUT WAYPOINTS
• This mission is trigger based and these triggers rely on you overflying your waypoints to trigger the next event.
• Fly runway heading until north of the Racetrack, not above 4000msl until waypoint 2.
• Upon reaching waypoint 3 you will be pushed to ALLEYCAT
• You must decide whether to aerial refuel prior to the push, or go without. This question will be asked of you by ALLEYCAT between waypoint 3 and 4. Answer via the
Radio Menu F10 Other option. TANKER is on TACAN 31x.
• Be at the Push Point (Waypont 6) on time (16:45) and start a descent to low level. Maintain at least 440 KIAS!
• Be at very low level by the time you reach Highway. Fr om waypoint 7, ensure you are flying low and at least 480 KIAS.
• Waypoint 9 is where you will be turning south towards the target. Use the mountains to mask yourself fr om the Red Air Defenses.
• Approaching the target, Pontiac 1 flight is tasked with destroying the SA-8 adjacent to the bunker.
• Utilize a pop up attack to bomb the bunker. Ensure that you pull out of the resultant dive at least 1000agl. MANPADs are expected around the target, so liberal use of flares and evasive manneuvers is recommended.
• Egress the target at high speed towards waypoint 12.
• Remember, it’s important to overfly each and every one of your waypoints, unless directed to do something else. This mission is trigger based, and relies on you to navigate to these points to trigger the next event.
• DO NOT FLY INTO R4808A!
• DO NOT CHANGE THE WEAPONS LOADOUT! Mission functionality requires you to fly with what you’re given.
CH FREQ USE
1 270.1 KLSV ATIS
2 289.4 KLSV CLND
3 275.8 KLSV GROUND
4 327.0 KLSV TOWER
5 385.4 KLSV DEPARTURE
6 273.5 KLSV ARRIVAL
7 317.5 SALLY CNTRL
8 254.4 LEE CNTRL
9 305.6 SOF
10 343.725 SFA
11 270.1 KLSV ATIS
12 360.625 KINS TOWER
13 234.325 COYOTE
14 289.3 CALIENTE
15 228.0 RANGE 74
16 363.9 RANGE 75
17 238.8 ALAMO
18 231.1 JUICE
19 261.1 DREAMLAND APPROACH
20 300.05 HAVE QUICK TOD
NOTES ABOUT COMMS
Most communications with air traffic control and mission elements are scripted in the mission, and require you to tune the specific frequency or channel on the required radio. COMM1 is your left side radio, COMM2 is your right. If you are instructed to, “PUSH 3 LEFT”, select channel 3 on the left side (COMM1) radio.
There are two instances in the mission wh ere you will need to use the Radio Menu / F10 Other menu to make a choice.
• The first will be somewhere between waypoint 3 and 4, when ALLEYCAT will inquire as to whether you would like to do aerial refuelling prior to the push time, or not.
• The second time will occur when/if you are complete with the air to air refuelling when you’ll need to use the Radio Menu / F10 Other option to contact AWACS when you depart the tanker.
You CAN use the standard radio menu items to:
• Contact Darkstar (AWACS)
• Contact ARCO 11 (air refuelling tanker)
• Command your Wingman
Besides the examples above, you will not need to use the radio menu to contact ATC or other mission elements. These will happen at certain times or when you pass certain waypoints.
Voice overs kindly provided by: