A Dynamic Helicopter Landing Trainer (with limited MP support) for all DCS Helicopters
"CFrag's Lawnmower" is a mission where you train, improve, and test your helicopter landing skills in multiple locations. Request a landing by difficulty (easy, normal, or hard), and the mission generates an LZ, based on your request. LZs are generated dynamically, from tens of thousands of possibilities, virtually guaranteeing that no two missions are identical (unless you are unusually patient). Landings are rated individually, and after five or more consecutive landings, your overall skill is rated as well. Harshly. So better step up your game, soldier!
Current Version 1.20 - 2021 April 18
*** WARNING: REQUIRES DCS VERSION 2.7
v1.02 - 20210417
Discussion Thread: please click here
Download Link: please click here
WARNING: REQUIRES DCS 2.7 OR ABOVE
Version 1.2 Major Change:
- New location: Batumi (City landings for normal and hard difficulties)
A Dynamic Helicopter Landing Trainer (with limited MP support)
"CFrag's Lawnmower" is a mission where you train, improve, and test your helicopter landing skills. Request a landing by difficulty (easy, normal, or hard), and the mission generates an LZ based on your request. LZs are generated dynamically, from tens of thousands of possibilities, virtually guaranteeing that no two missions are identical (unless you are unusually patient). Landings are rated individually, and after five or more consecutive landings, your overall skill is rated as well. Harshly. So better step up your game, soldier!
Currently the mission supports all DCS flyable helicopters (Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8 and Gazelle), and you can switch between airframes - just don't do it while tasked with a landing, or you'll score a zero for cheating on that landing. MP Multi-Crew is tentatively included to support Instructor / Student, but may have some lingering bugs during scoring. MP Multi-Unit is currently unsupported.
CENTRAL, LAWNMOWER, READY FOR DEPARTURE
You are Lawnmower One, training landings with Central. Landing zones are created dynamically based on the difficulty that you request. Currently there are two locations to choose from, each with endless missions, and you can freely switch locations and airframes after each landing:
- Senaki Kolkhi - the safe starter area
The classic location fr om Version 1.0 -- LZ are around the Senaki-Kolkhi airfield. Start here if you have never played this mission before to get a feeling of what you can expect
- Batumi - the city landing area
Don't we all enjoy the waterfront? While "easy" landings here are as easy as at Kolkhi, the "normal" and "challenging" landings here are designed to make your hairline recede faster; they are a step up fr om Kolkhi, as they are almost always inside populated areas. Since we are close to the coast, there are off-shore locations to explore, but no landings exercises will be assigned to them.
Choose your Helicopter (all types supported), then use the 'F10 Other' Command in Communications to request a landing exercise fr om Central. Landings are scored individually, and you accumulate a total and average score. After 5 or more landings, you are rated based on your average score. After a landing you can change helicopters and continue.
Each Landing is scored based on
- difficulty level (easy, normal, hard)
- time required until touchdown
- Quality (precision)
- Helicopter type
LZ are marked by a ring of tires with a red flag sticking out (easy and normal mission), or a ring of red flags (hard). Additionally, the position of the LZ is marked by blue smoke that is positioned just outside the LZ.
A touchdown outside of the marked LZ fails that exercise touchdown with a score of 0 (as does a crash). Aborting an exercise counts as a failed landing (Score 0) towards your total and average score.
You can request three different exercises:
- Easy: your landing zone will be mostly unobstructed and can be approached fr om any direction. It's big enough even for inexperienced pilots to hit, maybe even land in. There is a generous time lim it, and breaking the lim it will simply add less to the score.
- Normal: your landing zone may be partially obstructed, so plan your approach direction. Landing Zone size is still generous. Time lim it is shorter, breaking the lim it also only results in a lower score
- Hard: your landing zone is virtually guaranteed to be obstructed fr om at least one side, and usually there are obstacles (trees, buildings, vehicles, power lines) close by that may even extend into your LZ. Size of the LZ is what you would expect in real-life extraction missions. Time lim it is harsh, and breaking the lim it will reduce the entire score to zero.
You must also avoid other units moving about, even if they intrude on your LZ. Landing on a road is therefore not advised.
- Ka-50 (easiest)
- Mi-8 (hardest)
- HIND: tbd
Nobody ever said it was easy. But it's fun!
To install, download and move "CFrags Lawnmower.miz" to
C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Missions\
C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Missions\
TO START A THE MISSION
Start DCS, then click
- Mission (Note: NOT Training)
- My Missions tab (upper left)
- CFrags Lawnmower
- Better MP support: multi-unit
- More refined audio
- Add moving LZ support
- Add Ship landing support
- Add more traffic for "hard" missions
v1.01 - 20210414
v1.02 - 20210417 - maintenance update
- two consecutive LZ are now at least 2000 ft apart
- Landing the Zelle or -8 now scores correctly
v1.20 - 20210418 feature update
- added support for quad zones as introduced in 2.7
- multi-location capable zones and mission modules
- player module upgraded for group monitoring
- added location batumi
- added static and dynamic batumi scenery
- added normal, easy and hard batumi zones
- added Huey, Zelle, -8 and Shark to Batumi Location
- cleared up message 'make your altitude 500 FEET', and changed wording to also work with Batumi and <undisclosed>
- scoring for -8 now works correctly. Really. I promise!
- quality of landing now also takes into consideration the airframe's rotor size (giving some leeway to large-rotor craft like -8 or Hind)
- now normal and hard LZ are also guaranteed to be at least 650m apart
- updated roger request to support any location and clear up that it's 500 FEET agl