Set of 17 training missions for the F-15C set in the Caucasus covering all important aspects of flying the F-15C, aimed at beginners but hopefully useful to intermediate pilots as well! Lessons cover topics including cold start, takeoff, visual landing, ILS landing, navigation, RWR, radar operation, basic BVR tactics, aerial gunnery, and air-to-air refueling.
These missions are aimed towards players who are new to DCS and fairly new to flight sims in general, and so attempt to strike a difficult balance between accessibility (avoiding information overload) and covering everything important. However, I also recommend these to anyone interested in becoming more proficient in the F-15 (I learned a lot myself through putting them together). They're generally intended as a supplement to the DCS F-15C manual, but I also go over some aspects that are undocumented (i.e., not in the manual), such as the autopilot, the glide slope deviation scale, setting the bingo fuel index, and air-to-air refueling. The missions are:
1. Introduction and basic controls
2. Angle of attack and Gs
3A. Cold start, taxi, and takeoff (just the basics)
3B. Cold start, taxi, and takeoff (advanced)
4. Navigation, autopilot, and fuel management
5. Visual landing
6. Instrument landing system
7. Instrument landing challenge
8. Radar warning receiver and countermeasures
9. [Practice mission for lessons 1-8]
10. Beyond visual range radar modes
11. Beyond visual range missiles
12. Basic BVR tactics
13. [Practice mission for lessons 10-12]
14. Close combat radar and missiles
15. Aerial gunnery
16. Air-to-air refueling
To install, place the whole folder "F-15C Training (by N22YF)" into your Saved Games missions folder, which is typically in a location such as
C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Missions\
C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Missions\
Then, the "F-15C Training (by N22YF)" folder will show up in DCS when you click on "Mission" (not "Training") and then “My Missions”.
Supplementary notes are provided at https://dcs.alexstoll.com/F-15C
Although this is listed as in English, Spanish translations by andrey1989 (https://forums.eagle.ru/profile/35339-andrey1989
) of the text are also included in the files for those playing DCS in Spanish (gracias, Andrey!).
Please let me know if you have any feedback, suggestions, or bug reports! Would be great to hear thoughts from both newbies and experts. I'd love to hear from y'all about:
• Did anything not work?
• Was anything hard to follow, or could be explained in a better way?
• Did I make any mistakes or typos?
• Is there anything I left out that I shouldn't have (or anything I should have left out)?
Please send me comments and bug reports on the ED Forums as a private message here: https://forums.eagle.ru/messenger/compose/?to=76963
or on this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/252107-f-15c-training-missions
Changelog v1.11 (February 14th, 2021)
• Added Spanish translations by andrey1989 (https://forums.eagle.ru/profile/35339-andrey1989
Changelog v1.1 (January 31st, 2021)
• Mission 1 (Introduction and Basic Controls): added info for changing HUD brightness and color
• Mission 3B (Cold Start, Taxi, and Takeoff (Advanced)): corrected explanation of the "Climb 300" ATC instructions
• Mission 4 (Navigation, Autopilot, and Fuel Management): adjusted AI F-15s to hopefully avoid collisions, and removed note about autopilot caution lights (which function incorrectly and are better off ignored)
• Mission 6 (Instrument Landing System): added approach diagram and clarified wh ere to park
• Mission 7 (Instrument Landing Challenge): revised name and description to emphasize the optional nature of this lesson
• Mission 9 (Deployment): revised briefing text to clarify mission intent, and added a warning from your wingman if you fly too close to Turkey
• Mission 13 (Intercept): revised briefing text, and moved start location for a slower pace
• Mission 14 (Close Combat Radar and Missiles): changed "RTR" to "Rtr," and "press" to "hold" for the weapons release command